The diet developed by dr.Ornisha is quite rigorous, although you do not need to count calories when using it.It works if you do not like meat and you do not want to starve yourself.In the United States, this diet is treated not only as a slimming diet, but it is also a method of treatment, refunded for patients with heart disease.
Ornish’s diet has been making record overseas for years.Doctor Dean Ornish is a cardiologist known in the United States.He was famous for healing the diet, without the use of drugs and complicated operations, a group of patients suffering from atherosclerosis.He created his method of nutrition in the 1970s and improved it for over a dozen years.Not only does it cause weight loss, but it also has to counteract cardiovascular diseases.He described the assumptions of his nutritional program in the book Eat More, Weigh Less (Eat More, Weigh Less), which was published in Poland in the first half of the 90s. Today in the US, alongside the diet of Dr. Atkins, Wage Guardians and Zone, one of the most popular ways to lose weight.
Read also: Macrobiotic diet
According to dr.Ornisha is determined by three factors
- low-fat diet based on plant products (vegetarian),
- moderate physical activity.
- love and harmony and good relationships with others.
All these elements are equally important and guarantee a happy life.And happy, we make better decisions, including what we eat and how we spend our time.
According to Ornish, our metabolism was formed a dozen or so thousands of years ago, at a time when food was scarce and when we did not know where our next meal would come from.The body had to store calories (turned into fat) for worse times.Today we have access to food almost all the time, but our bodies have not yet adapted to it.That is why fasting and 1000 calorie diets do not work in the long run.Why?When the number of calories is reduced, metabolism also slows down.Ornish’s diet does not promise quick weight loss.You can lose about 5 kg a month.
You should read it: How to provide the right amount of protein in a vegetarian diet?
Plant products as a basis for the diet of dr.Ornish
The basis of Dr Ornish’s program are plant products.The diet is low-fat, rich in fiber and complex carbohydrates.The daily menu is to consist of 10% of fat, 15 of protein and 75 of carbohydrates (in commonly accepted dietary standards 45-50% are carbohydrates, 20-25% protein and 30% fat).Among products of animal origin, Ornish permits only nonfat milk or yogurt and egg white.Vegetable products vegetables and fruits, legume seeds, nuts, cereals, you can eat without restrictions.
In the diet of dr.Ornisha has no place for smoking cigarettes, therefore, the condition for success is parting with the addiction
The nutrition program is simple, you do not count calories, eat so much, until you feel full.However, you must eat only allowed products, often in small portions.Thanks to such a system and a large amount of fiber, you will not feel hungry so often.
He divided all Dr. Ornish products into 5 groups.The first group includes the healthiest ones, the fifth – those that are best to give up.
Ornish’s diet for whom
The diet is recommended for people who are overweight or obese, at risk of heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension and some cancers, eg prostate, breast, lung and colon.Provided, however, that they can do without a sandwich with smoked meat, schnitzel for dinner or traditional scrambled eggs (you can only eat protein).It is a completely meatless diet.It can therefore be considered by present and future vegetarians.The diet will also work well for those who have digestive problems associated with gastrointestinal problems (bloating).Who should not use this diet, especially on their own?First of all, children, teenagers, and also pregnant women, people with anemia, celiac disease, or osteoporosis – Ornish’s diet, despite the principle you eat at will, belongs to restrictive diets, so it is not balanced.It is worth remembering that every big change in nutrition should be consulted with a dietitian or doctor, especially when we treat something.
A healthy spirit is a healthy body
The cardiologist warns that diet alone is not enough.Physical activity is necessary to lose weight and is in the program of dr.Ornisha a lot.In his opinion, the best effects give cardio exercises – eg yoga, pilates, swimming, cycling, brisk walking.He recommends breathing and relaxing exercises.You have to do gymnastics every day for 30 minutes or 3 times a week.
A very important element of this therapy is caring for positive emotions.So relax and use techniques that help reduce stress.Therefore, Ornish recommends, among othersmeditation.He also advises to regularly participate in meetings of support groups.According to the doctor, our biggest problem is the sense of loneliness, lack of closeness and understanding, and hence the short path to mood disorders and depression, and consequently to eating disorders.
Benefits and disadvantages of the diet dr.Ornish
- It is based on fresh, unprocessed or at least processed and local products, without preservatives and preservatives, and these are the healthiest ones.
- It is convenient because it does not require counting calories.
- It can lower cholesterol (low fat).
- It contains a lot of vegetables and fruits, so it provides a lot of vitamins, especially antioxidants, inhibiting the aging process and supporting the repair processes in the body.
- It is rich in fiber, therefore it provides a feeling of satiety and improves digestion for a long time.
- For people who have not used a vegetarian diet so far, composing meals can be embarrassing and expose them to deficiencies of certain ingredients (eg vitamin B12, which is derived from animal products.) The diet may also lack iron.
- In people with hypersensitivity, an increase in fiber may cause digestive problems.The risk is lower when the amount of fiber increases gradually.
- It contains a lot of fruits, and therefore simple sugars.After meals, hunger and spikes in blood glucose may appear too soon.In addition, sugars are deposited in the form of adipose tissue, and the secreted insulin blocks glucagon, the hormone responsible for fat burning.