Nowadays, the use of dietetics services is becoming more and more popular. We are aware of the impact of nutrition on our health and well-being, and within our goals very often there is a dream shapely and athletic figure. No wonder that we decide to use the help of professionals who, thanks to their knowledge, are able to help us achieve not only impeccable figure, but also better health.
However, as before the first visit to every specialist, so also the dietitian – we have a number of doubts and we are wondering what to expect. So let’s unravel all anxieties and get to know the most important elements of the first contact with a dietitian.
Choosing a diet counseling center
Choosing the right counseling center and a specific dietitian is actually the most important issue. It is the competent competences of a specialist that will guarantee us a safe and healthy achievement of the planned goals. When searching for the best specialist, it is worth to help other people’s opinions – family, friends or visit all online rankings and forums. It is thanks to this that we can get to know the actual characteristics of a given dietitian, his way of working and efficiency.
Currently, diet clinics and clinics are becoming more and more popular. Among them there are so-called chains that enjoy quite a lot of fame. Unfortunately, in this case, popularity is not tantamount to the highest competences – these types of institutions most often use ready-made diets drawn from under the counter, as well as numerous supplements to guarantee miracle-effects and fast weight loss.
A big problem is also the fact that the profession of a dietician is not legally regulated. Thanks to this, a dietitian or nutrition specialist can use a person literally – weekend dietetic course. For this reason, it is better to avoid contact with such popular chains, in which people who do not have proper directional education most often work . Looking through the job offers of these institutions, it turns out that to get a job is enough to interest in the diet industry, and education is only an additional advantage …
Of course, you can not generalize and criticize the knowledge of all such specialists. However, it is not possible to compare the substantive preparation of people after odd courses with the knowledge of people who have completed studies in dietary majors. Because they have a great knowledge of clinical dietetics and already during their studies gain experience in virtually all branches of dietetics. That is why it is so important to choose a suitably trained specialist – after all, it is a person who interferes with our health. Only the right knowledge is able to ensure that the impact of these activities will have a positive impact on our entire body …
When browsing websites of specific specialists and reading opinions about them, one must remember to avoid dieters
– using drastic diets (for example, about 1000 kcal), which patients go hungry – it has been known for a long time that this type of nutrition adversely affects health and can lead to nutrient deficiencies in our body, exhaustion and numerous diseases!
– guaranteeing the loss of several kilos in a month – perhaps the slimming effect will be visible instantly, but only a healthy and slow diet will not cause the so-called yo-yo effect, that is, a return to the former or even higher weight!
– sellers or recommenders of various supplements, guaranteeing more effective slimming – unfortunately, pulling customers into preparations whose operation has not been proven by any research, and their consumption will not bring the promised results.
As you can see, the choice of nutritionist should be a well-thought-out and confirmed process of numerous opinions of other customers. This is the only way to get a competent specialist.
The course of the visit
The first visit to a dietician is a moment that many of us think about. There is not one specific pattern of the visit, because how many clinics and dietets – so many methods of work. There are, however, some elements that should appear during each first visit, such as setting the purpose of the visit – for example, the desire to reduce weight, change the diet, diet in a specific disease, and to know the expectations of the patient.
The next indispensable moment is the medical and nutrition interview, which includes such information about the patient as
– level of physical activity;
– past or existing diseases and ailments;
– regularity of menstruation and bowel movements;
– food allergies and intolerances;
– medicines taken;
– nature of work – type and number of hours, exposure to stress;
– the rhythm of the day – hours of wake and sleep, the number and hours of eaten meals and their type;
– amount of fluids accepted;
– unpopular food products.
All this information is necessary to create a correct, balanced menu that will bring the best results, and – what is equally important – it will be pleasant and tasty for the patient.
In the next stage, it will be necessary to assess the nutritional status. For its full performance it will be necessary to present the results of blood tests, as well as the lipid profile (ie the level of cholesterol in the blood). Thanks to this, using a properly balanced diet, you can supplement nutrient deficiencies or lower the level of bad cholesterol fraction.
Evaluation of nutritional status also includes anthropometric measurements – body mass measurement, waist circumference measurement and hip measurement. Thanks to these parameters, two indicators can be set
– BMI, diagnosing underweight, overweight or obesity;
– WHR, or an indicator that assesses the type of figure and the type of overweight / obesity (femoris, gluteus or more severe – abdominal).
These indicators, although useful, can not be the only basis for further dietary management. For example, the BMI index will not be reflected in athletes whose higher weight results from a high level of heavier muscle tissue. For this reason, it is important to thoroughly analyze the body composition using a special non-invasive analyzer. It determines the body weight, as well as the content of individual tissues – bone, muscle, fat or water content in the body. It will also indicate the amount of basic metabolism (much more accurately than popular calculators) and metabolic age. Thanks to such accurate measurements, the set menu will be able to be even more personalized, and during the whole diet you will be able to analyze changes, for example regarding the level of body fat and muscle.
After completing all the basic elements of the visit, dietary management is determined and discussed with the patient. An individual diet plan is usually obtained one week after the first visit, and during subsequent follow-up visits, the results are analyzed and the plan modified as necessary.
What to take with you on your first visit?
In order to improve the visit and receive your nutrition plan as soon as possible, it is worth getting ready properly.
For this purpose, you can take your first visit
– recent results of morphological tests and lipid profile, but not older than 6 months;
– thyroid hormone test results and other related tests
with possible diseases – it happens very often that despite adherence to the diet, effects do not appear, it may be the result
from the work of hormones or existing diseases, that is why it is so important to know the current state of health;
– a nutritional diary – it is worth to keep a diary for 3 days before the visit, storing the time of eating, their volume, preparation method, as well as any liquids drunk and snacks consumed; It is also good to put information about products badly affecting our well-being, those that cause intolerance and allergies with us, as well as those unpopular. Thanks to this dietitian it will be easier to arrange a menu that falls into tastes as well as to indicate bad eating habits.
As you can see, the first visit to a dietician is not scary. It is important, however, to opt for a specialist in the full sense of the word. Because only such a specialist, thanks to his long and carefully acquired knowledge, in a safe, healthy and sustainable way will help us achieve the desired goals.