Soup? No, thank you – I’m on a diet. I will stay with the second course. It’s just extra, unnecessary calories. That’s how many people who care about the figure think, but are they right? Cream soups in which vegetables form the basis are a special example of a healthy meal.
Soups are a constant element of a “traditional” dinner. Many of us consider them to be an unnecessary supplement, unnecessary additional calories. There is some truth in it. Contents of soup with potatoes, noodles and a meat insert, where the only vegetable is a few slices of carrot and a little pickled cucumber is not the best idea. Such a soup will not give us the will and strength to act, because it contains very little valuable vitamins and minerals. However, when we change the proportions and use vegetable as a base for soup, natural rice, wholemeal pasta or potatoes are treated as an addition, the situation changes completely. This soup makes us still feel light, and our body takes advantage of its valuable ingredients to gain energy and strength to act.
How to prepare a tasty and healthy cream soup?
- All vegetables and spices for soup are worth a second of olive oil. It will make it better to extract the taste from them.
- Boil the soup in a minimum amount of water and as short as possible, for example to the softness of the cut potatoes. The remaining vegetables do not have to be cooked to the very end, because they will be mixed up anyway, and cooking them will briefly retain their valuable nutritional values.
- It is worth to add less-liked vegetables to soups, for example spinach or peas. In mixed-mix soups, we diligently mask their presence.
- Do not use broth cubes or other artificial flavor enhancers to cook. Soup the cream the most healthy to cook on water or vegetable broth (done alone). They taste great if you add fresh herbs to them, season with soy sauce (good quality) and other spices (eg lovage, ginger, turmeric).
- To raise the nutritional and taste values of the soup, add a few tablespoons of ground seeds to it after cooking (eg linseed, sunflower seeds, almonds, sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds). Thanks to these additions, we will not lack valuable protein, healthy unsaturated fatty acids, vitamins A, D and E. In addition, we enrich the soup with iron, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and many other micronutrients.
- At the end of the cooking, and preferably directly on the plate, add some green, chopped leaves of parsley, fennel or other fresh herbs to the soup.
- After cooking the soup, it is worth adding a small amount of good quality oil, olive oil or fresh butter to it. Thanks to the addition of fat, the soup will be velvety, tasty and fat-soluble vitamins will be much more easily available to the body.
- Finally, you can sprinkle soup made with croutons. Do not reach for puff peas. It looks innocuous, but it usually contains extremely dangerous hardening vegetable fats other unhealthy additives.
Cream soup prepared according to these rules is a tasty and healthy meal that we can confidently serve both children and adults. I encourage you to eat it for dinner, and because it is easy to digest, we can also eat mixed soups as a warm supper.